Pack your bags and get ready to laugh, cry, and feel every emotion in between because it’s time for a family reunion! All kidding aside, we know that family reunions are an amazing opportunity to spend quality time with the ones you love most and we want to help take the guesswork out of choosing the perfect location for your next reunion trip.
We’ve chosen a few incredible family friendly destinations that offer a wide variety of activities from outdoor excursions, to world-class theme parks, and even a few tranquil resorts for families who prefer peace and quiet!
Photo by Tyler Nix on Unsplash
Best Places for Family Reunions: Here, There, and Everywhere
1. Orlando, FL
We have to start this list with our favorite family vacation destination – The Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida! Filled with magic, top-notch entertainment, and exquisite cuisine, the Disney Resort is known for creating memorable experiences that families can reminisce on for a lifetime.
Orlando is also home to other popular theme parks and excursion opportunities geared towards guests of all ages, making it a perfect destination for your next family reunion. A few of our favorite family friendly activities in Orlando include:
- Walt Disney World Resort
- Universal Orlando Resort
- Day Trip to the Kennedy Space Center
- Discovery Cove
- Orlando Science Center
- WonderWorks Orlando
Photo by Thomas Kelley on Unsplash
2. Lake Tahoe, CA
Lake Tahoe is the perfect place to host a reunion for families who enjoy spending time in the great outdoors. Let yourself be engulfed in nature from the moment you arrive to when it’s time to say your goodbyes. Depending on if you visit in the summer or the colder months of winter, you’ll be met with different recreational activities to partake in. Some of our favorite local attractions include:
- The Ridge Rider Alpine Coaster
- Aerial Tours via Helicopter
- Hot Air Balloon Rides
- Ice Skating
- Kings Beach Recreational Park
- The Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival
Photo by Ben Carless on Unsplash
3. Pigeon Forge, TN
Are you a fan of Ms. Dolly Parton? You’ll want to make the trek into the Great Smoky Mountains and visit Pigeon Forge, home to her rustic theme park – Dollywood. This town is known for its ample tourist attractions outside of the popular theme park, such as go-karting, mountain coasters, moonshine tasting, dinner shows and more! When visiting this beautiful area of Tennessee, be sure to do the following:
- Titanic Museum
- Wine & Moonshine Tour of the Smokies
- Rocky Top Mountain Coaster
- Paula Deen’s Lumberjack Feud Show
- Dolly Parton’s Stampede Dinner Show
Photo by Milly Montoya on Unsplash
4. Outer Banks, NC
For a family who loves the laid back atmosphere of a beach vacation, plan a family reunion on the beautiful shores of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. We advise renting a large house for everyone to stay together on the water, so it’s just a quick walk down to the shore. But don’t delay – this popular vacation spot starts booking up almost a year out, so be sure to reserve in advance! While in the Outer Banks:
- Check out the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
- Visit the Wright Brothers Museum
- Get a tasty treat at Duck Donuts
- Take the ferry to Ocracoke Island
- Enjoy fishing and crabbing opportunities
- Spend a day soaking up the sun on the beach
- Get tickets to The Lost Colony, outdoor theater show
Photo by Jason Pischke on Unsplash
5. Waimea, HI
Waimea Bay is a beautiful and lush area of Hawaii located on the North Shore of Oahu. If you want a family reunion somewhere tropical with jaw-dropping views around every corner, this is the place for your family! Throw on your flip flops and take in some of the small shops and eateries around the shore such as the delicious shrimp food trucks in Haleiwa. A good rule of thumb in Hawaii is that anything being sold out of a truck – chicken, coconuts, shrimp, fruit – is a hidden gem and definitely worth stopping for! Some of our favorite things to do with family in Oahu are:
- Exploring the Dole Plantation
- The Polynesian Cultural Center
- Snorkeling in Ko Olina
- Shave Ice from Matsumoto’s
- Renting a standup paddle board or learning to surf in Waikiki
- Swimming in Waimea Falls
- Hiking Diamond Head
Photo by Kaitlin Kelly on Unsplash
6. Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Take in a true American beauty and enjoy family time experiencing the wonders of nature. If your family considers themselves adventurous, then visiting Grand Canyon national park will be a great opportunity to bond! Sign up for a private guided tour and hike down the canyon to get up close and personal! If you'd prefer to enjoy the views in a more extreme way, get tickets for a helicopter or hummer tour of the national park. Other fun activities include:
- Yavapai Geology Museum
- Hiking trails along the South Rim
- Drive to Horseshoe Bend
- Travel the Bright Angel Trail by Mule
- Camp in the canyon
- Go river rafting
Photo by Omer Nezih Gerek on Unsplash
7. Clearwater, FL
Another popular beach getaway, Clearwater, located on Florida's gulf coast is a beloved beach destination for families. Rated one of the best beaches in America, it's easy to see why people enjoy it. Between warm crystal waters and the lively beach town atmosphere, you're sure to have a great stay. We highly recommend staying at Hotel Cabana, as it's at the end of the beach strip away from the noise, and just a quick walk to the beach! While visiting Clearwater, there are a few activities that we enjoy nearby:
- Though it's a little bit of a drive, we highly recommend renting a car and heading to Crystal River to swim with the manatees!
- Drive into Saint Pete and visit the pier, the sunken gardens, and some amazing food and breweries.
- Spend a day out on Clearwater Beach soaking up the sun and making Sandcastles.
- Sign up for a dolphin cruise and head out on the waves.
- Rent bikes and coast along the water.
- Visit the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, a famous marine rescue and rehab center!
Photo by Robert Linder on Unsplash
8. Denali National Park, AK
This beautiful outdoor oasis combines a stunning mountain backdrop with extreme outdoor activities. Although you don't have to be incredibly outdoorsy to enjoy the beauty of this area, we definitely think a family reunion at Denali National Park would be better suited to those who enjoy being outside. Within the park and the surrounding area there are quite a few activities to do for those with an adventurous spirit. These are some on our list!
- Denali Park Zipline Excursion
- Whitewater rafting
- Wilderness ATV Adventures
- Guided wilderness hiking tours
- Aurora Quest
Photo by Bryson Beaver on Unsplash
9. Saratoga Springs, NY
No matter what time of year you visit, the charming town of Saratoga Springs, New York is a stunning setting for a family reunion. Packed to the brim with shopping, dining, live entertainment, and outdoor activities, this area truly has it all. We guarantee that there's something for every member of your family here. When creating an itinerary for your Saratoga springs reunion be sure to include the following:
- Check out the city's historic architecture on rented bikes for the whole family.
- Shop local and support small businesses at the Spa City’s Farmers Market. The unique goods you find here will make for great souvenirs!
- Visit the Saratoga Race Course.
- Explore the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.
- For the adults on the trip, stop at the Saratoga Winery and sample a flight.
- Hike through the 100 acre wood and surround yourself with nature.
- Visit Congress Park.
Photo by Keith Luke on Unsplash
10. Myrtle Beach, SC
The sandy seashores of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina are a great place to travel with kids. This is due to the classic beachy feel of a coastal town geared towards tourism. The area boosts both indoor and outdoor activities fit for the whole family! While the star of the show is the beautiful shoreline, there are a few other things we enjoy doing while visiting Myrtle Beach with family.
- Visit Huntington Beach State Park
- Camp at Myrtle Beach state park
- Enjoy a Myrtle Beach Pelicans’ game
- Enjoy a meal with entertainment at the Pirates voyage dinner show
- Play mini golf and then end the day with an ice cream cone
- Get tickets to Ripley's Aquarium
Photo by Jeremy Kierez on Unsplash
Where Do You Want to Go Next?
Do you want to experience the lively atmosphere and thrills of the Walt Disney World theme parks in Orlando or would you prefer to take a family hike through the beautiful forest surrounding Lake Tahoe? With an abundance of activities, there’s no wrong choice here!
Ready to start planning your trip? When you book with Celebration Wishes Travel, you can rest assured that every single detail of your trip will be handled with care. Fill out our interest form to learn more today!
Once you choose your trip location, set up an online registry to aid in planning out the different activities and expenses in advance. By utilizing our registry, you can split up the trip funding among your family, so everyone can get involved.